How to Prepare Zobo Drink – Zobo drink is a familiar beverage loved by most Nigerians.
It is produced from dried roselle or sorrel leaves (Hibiscus Sabdariffa). This bright red drink is loved by most Nigerians and it sometimes serve as a refreshment drink in parties.
Health benefits of Zobo Drink
- Zobo leaf drink may relieve menstrual pain
- Zobo drink may manage high blood pressure
- Hibiscus tea may lower cholesterol
- Zobo drink may protect the liver
- It contains anti-cancer properties
- Hibiscus tea is an anti-inflammatory & antibacterial agent
- Zobo leaf drink may be an antidepressant agent
Zobo drink is available, affordable, tasty, refreshing and have a lot healthy benefits just as listed above.
Zobo is not only refreshing, it can also be used to regulate blood pressure, reduce cholesterol, strengthen blood vessels, calm the nerves, reduce stress, for weight loss, and to improve sex drive. It is not safe for pregnant women in their first trimester though, because it induces menstruation and may lead to a miscarriage.
How to Prepare Zobo Drink at Home
These recipe makes about 5 litres of zobo drink, depending on how concentrated you want it to be and if you will use artificial flavours, which will require more water.
You may add artificial flavours and sweeteners such as Nutri-C and sugar if you wish.
Ingredients of making Zobo drink
- 2 (De Rica) cups of dry zobo leaves
- 2 tablespoons of cloves (konafuru)
- 2 stumps fresh ginger
- 1 big ripe pineapple
- Slices of citrus fruits of your choice: orange, lemon, lime – to garnish
What to do first
- Rinse out the dust from the zobo leaves with cold water.
- Grind the cloves into a powder.
- Wash and peel the skin of the ginger and blend roughly.
- Wash, peel and cut the pineapple into thin slices.
How to Prepare Zobo Drink (Nigerian delicious drink)
- In a pot, ass the washed zobo leaves and pour enough water to cover it totally.
- Cook on medium heat and leave to boil for a few minutes.
- Add the ginger and the garlic, add more water and keep boiling for at least 30 minutes. This is the time it will take for the zobo leaves to be completely soft.
- Turn off the heat and set aside to cool down completely.
- Blend your pineapples while your zobo cools.
- When cool, sieve out the zobo leaves. Then pour the juice through a chiffon cloth to remove tiny particles and leave only a smooth juice.
- Add the pineapple juice. You can sieve it through the chiffon cloth again to make sure there are no particles left.
- Add any artificial flavours of your choice at this time and stir.
- Pour into bottles and refrigerate.
- Serve with ice and sliced fruits. Enjoy it alone or with a snack.